5 Ways to Improve and Enhance Your Application Maintenance and Support Program
If you are running a successful and a growing enterprise, then you must be accustomed to the rapidly changing application management philosophy of today’s world. It is vital that your company must take the right steps to quickly adapt to the ever-changing dynamics of the market to stay competitive. Most enterprises know the reality that they have to keep their applications in the best of condition to tackle the needs and requirements of their clients, which ultimately can transform into business growth. However, keeping your application updated and maintained is not an easy task, as improvement is almost impossible to achieve without any concrete plan or strategy. So, today, we are going to check out the ways how enterprises can improve their application maintenance and support plan to bring growth and efficiency to their work.0 Comments
1. Enhance the defect tracking processDefect tracking means tracking the errors in the application that you have. The process involves tracking of issues right from the software inception point to the end. Defect tracking requires logging, scrutiny, testing, feedback recording, and rectification. In fact, the final part of the defect tracking is creating a new version of the software so that the error is rectified and solved. Defect tracking can be implemented in any engineering process; however, it is most frequently used in software engineering and application maintenance, as a typical I.T product possesses hundreds of bugs and issues. When you and your team want to solve these defects, first of all, you have to verify, manage, evaluate, prioritize, and rectify defects. The process is regarded as a very tedious task, especially because large number errors are found. But, your team has to locate and track these defects and solve the issues quickly in large chunks. You can take the help of a defect tracking and management system just to make the process a lot simpler and easier.
2. Proper testing to improve the processTesting is a vital piece of the puzzle called application maintenance and support. Since an application is used for several years, it is evident that the system’s environment has to be changed, corrected, or modified at some point in time. After the changes are made, proper testing has to be implemented, and this form of testing is called maintenance testing. In most cases, this form of testing is done in 2 different parts.
- The first part involves testing the actual modifications and changes, just to check how the system is behaving because of them. If any new feature or specification is added, then testing becomes even more pivotal.
- The second part involves regression testing just to make sure that the system is working correctly. Regression testing also checks whether the system is ill affected by the maintenance and the support work or not. If any problems are found, then rectification becomes easier thanks to the testing.
3. Continuous improvement for support packagesWhen you want your maintenance and support plan to work smoothly, you have to opt and go for support packages. As the name suggests, support packages are those patches that are implemented during the maintenance program to rectify or resolve any issue. The support packages generally contain the following the updates/updates that have to be put in:
- New set of codes or patches
- New Bug fixes
- Issue analysis
- Application upgrades
- System status
- Performance checks and monitoring